Hello there short story writers! Want to be a part of an amazing anthology project and see your story published? Raw Earth Ink has opened submissions for this year’s short story collection: The Shadows of Blackout Island
Here are the rules.
- Genre: dark fiction, dark humor, twisted subject matter. Not accepted: detailed horror, graphic rape, pedophilia
- Premise: “rumors and speculation surround the possible inhabitants of Blackout Island, located just a few miles off the coast. Conspiracy theories abound while social media leaks surface about government experiments gone wrong. Certainly something or someone must live there, for haven’t we all seen the shaky home videos of the occasional wisp of smoke or recordings of eerie sounds carrying far across the water on a calm summer night? Something wicked has been unleashed within its depths…. And it is time for the truth to be released.” Most, if not all, of your story must take place on the island. Tell a short story about who or what lives on the island.
- Deadline: first draft (can be unfinished but should be at least 75% finished) 15th August 2020, final draft 15th September 2020
- Submission Length: 5,000-10k word count
- Publishing Compensation: two copies of the finished book in paperback format and the ability to order more copies at just above printing/shipping cost.
- Additional points to consider: Due to this book’s genre, some stories included may contain vulgarity, slurs, twisted or objectionable humor, and graphic violence. If this subject matter is unacceptable to you, please do not submit your story, as we may not be well-suited for one another on this particular project.
- If your story is not chosen, do not take this as a reflection of your writing style or story, simply that your story did not fit into this collection.
Have more questions? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Okay, now that we got all that out, want to submit? Awesome! Here’s how:
I will need the following information from you, along with your submissions. Please, read carefully. I will automatically reject improperly submitted work.
In your initial submission:
1) Email it to me at email@example.com with the subject line: “SBI Submission – Author Name” [this helps me keep track of your submission within a huge inbox]
2) Attach your submission as a .docx – I do not need PDF. Don’t worry about fonts, sizing, or spacing.
3) Include your name (real or otherwise) that I may use in our interactions.
4) A reliable way for me to contact you: email, texting phone number (I will not call you) or messaging platform such as WhatsApp or Hangouts
5) Your pen name (exactly as you want it to appear in the book)
6) Story Title & Word Count
Upon receiving your first (may be unfinished/unpolished) draft, I will email you by the 25th of August with an acceptance letter in which you will need to provide this additional information at that time:
1) Brief author bio, if you wish
2) your website (link and title), Instagram/Twitter username, Goodreads (link) or any way you want your readers to be able to find you, I will not go mining for this information.
3) A good mailing address to ship your copies to.
If you do not agree with these terms or styles, please consider holding off on this project and checking us out later. There may be future projects published by Raw Earth Ink which you may want submit to, as this particular style does not exclusively define Raw Earth Ink.
Please, if you have ANY questions at all about this project or future projects, please email me.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Raw Earth Ink